Tooth Extractions Prosper, TX
When are Tooth Extractions Necessary?
Extracting a tooth may seem antithetical to the idea of restorative dentistry, but removing problematic dentition can restore the overall healthful balance of your mouth. Circumstances which may call for the extraction of a tooth include:
- Tooth decay and infection has progressed to the point that other restorative procedures like placing a filling or performing root canal therapy will not fully address the problem.
- Advanced gum disease has caused a tooth to loosen within the socket.
- A tooth is at risk for infection and the patient has a compromised immune system that will not adequately deal with the problem.
- Accidental injury has damaged the tooth so severely that there is not enough structure left to support a crown.
- Some patients who will soon undergo orthodontic therapy may have a tooth removed to make room for the remaining teeth to move into proper alignment.
A Few Words on Wisdom Teeth
Also referred to as third molars, wisdom teeth are the last permanent teeth to erupt. Emerging during the late teens or early twenties, some people have no complications associated with their wisdom teeth. Many more people, however, have problematic wisdom teeth that either erupt in an awkward position or remain impacted, or embedded within the jaw and below the gum line. Badly positioned or impacted wisdom teeth can lead to a range of oral health problems, including an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease, crowding, soft tissue damage, and infection. Extracting wisdom teeth will help you bypass these complications.
Tooth Extractions at Prosper Smiles Family Dentistry
While many general dentists do not perform wisdom teeth extractions, Dr. Patel believes this service corresponds with Prosper Smiles Family Dentistry’s philosophy of full-service dental care for people of all ages. In addition, he has equipped his practice with comfort amenities, such as neck pillows and wall-mounted TVs, and gentle sedation options so that you feel relaxed and at ease throughout the extraction procedure. After your extraction, you will want to discuss tooth replacement options so that a missing tooth doesn’t lead to further oral health problems.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Prosper Dentist
At Prosper Smiles Family Dentistry, we have created a different kind of dental practice: one that focuses on family, fun, and creating healthy, beautiful smiles. To schedule an appointment, please contact us at (972) 347-9617. From our state-of-the-art dentist’s office in Prosper, TX, Dr. Patel and his talented staff proudly provide general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to families in Celina, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Denton, and Allen.