Pediatric Dentistry Prosper, TX
Can a Visit to the Dentist be Fun?
Yes! At Prosper Smiles Family Dentistry, we love kids and we love to see our young patients enjoy their visit with Dr. Patel, pediatric dentist. We see kids of all ages, including infants and toddlers. According to the American Dental Association, parents should bring their little ones for their first visit with the dentist soon after the first baby tooth erupts or around their first birthday. Children’s visits are about more than cleaning teeth. Dr. Patel believes that positive dental experiences in childhood set the stage for a lifetime of good oral health habits.
We have created an environment where kids can feel comfortable and at ease. Even better, we provide a number of special amenities just for our younger patients, including:
- Video Game Station
- Play area with toys
- A special stuffed animal for comfort during treatment
- Cartoons and movies in the treatment rooms
- Blanket and Pillows
- Treasure chest full of special prizes
- Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) to help our young patients feel at ease
What to Expect from a Children’s Checkup
We take a caring, gentle approach to pediatric dentistry. After enjoying our kid-friendly waiting room, your little one will be called back by one of our friendly team members. Dr. Patel may want to take digital x-rays (a new kind of x-ray that dramatically reduces radiation exposure). Next, Dr. Patel will examine your child’s teeth and gums, checking for signs of decay or gum disease and the development of the teeth and jaw. Common concerns and risk factors for children’s oral health include:
- Signs of decay on the front teeth as a result of Baby Bottle Syndrome. This easily avoidable problem generally results from the exposure of the teeth to sugary drinks delivered through a baby's bottle. To reduce the risk of baby bottle syndrome, and tooth decay in general, never put your baby to bed with a bottle and only served milk, formula, or water in the bottle.
- Thumb sucking. This common childhood behavior may look cute, but it can inhibit the proper development of the permanent teeth. Frequent thumb sucking can cause the front teeth to protrude and could require orthodontics to correct it later on.
Afterward, we will thoroughly clean your child’s teeth and, if necessary, apply a fluoride treatment to strengthen the enamel or a dental sealant to protect against cavities.
The Prosper Smiles Team Approach
We see your child twice a year. You see your child every day. We believe that by working with parents and their children, we can empower everyone to be an active participant in consistent at-home dental hygiene. We can offer tips for brushing and flossing and strategies for making smile-friendly food and drink choices. Together, we can help give your child the best chance for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Prosper Dentist
At Prosper Smiles Family Dentistry, we have created a different kind of dental practice: one that focuses on family, fun, and creating healthy, beautiful smiles. To schedule an appointment, please contact us at (972) 347-9617. From our state-of-the-art dentist’s office in Prosper, TX, Dr. Patel and his talented staff proudly provide general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to families in Celina, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Denton, and Allen.
- Emergency Dentistry
- Bruxism Treatment
- Checkups and Cleanings
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Bonding and Tooth Contouring
- Dental Bridge
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Filling
- Dental Implants
- Dental Prosthetics
- Dentures and Partials
- Patient Comfort
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Porcelain Veneers
- Preventive Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
- Root Canal Therapy
- Sedation Dentistry
- Teeth Whitening
- Tooth Extractions